Friday 12 December 2014

10 Must Wear Items for Winter Travel

Photo Credit
Have you ever traveled to a country or city without even checking the weather? Oh well, I did.

And boy, I could have frozen! 

This was back in 1999 and my first ever trip to China. Perhaps it was a combination then of having to rush off getting a visa and booking the flights. I vividly remember the date, January 6. 
 
I just came back from Christmas holidays and just getting back to work means reading through lots of mails. I came back on the 3rd. While browsing through the emails, I found out that I have to fly on the 6th which meant that I have to have visas completed in 3 days! Technically this should have been 5 days and no travel agency will actually help. 

But perhaps I was lucky enough, although I had to make a personal appearance to the embassy and literally (I mean really) beg the immigration officer to grant me the visa. The spirit of the season was still in the air and you bet it right, I was able to pick-up the visa on the same day of my flight.

Along with this though, I wasn't able to pack and plan out the things I needed to bring for my trip. So off I went and flew to Shanghai. Upon reaching the airport, the cold wind just blew me away and I got really worried. The only saving grace temporarily was that I was immediately picked up by our company van and transport. When I reached our office, everyone was shocked and surprised that I was only wearing very thin cardigan. But again, luck comes around  because a colleague/friend lives in the city and had let me borrow one of her coats. And ever since from that experience, I know I will not make the same mistake again.

December is here and I am sure some of you cannot wait for your Christmas/December break to come.  Here are some must have items for winter travel that will keep you warm and fashionable as well.

(1) Zipped leather jacket - item from Zara's online shopping store. Very easy to carry - will not weigh you down and yet feel comfortable and of course protect you from the cold.

Zara's zipped leather jacket
(2) Zip pocket coat or any other coat that you can carry. Again another item from Zara - you may choose of course to buy from other brands but the key is protection, comfort and style (don't forget - will look good on photos!).

Zara's zip coated coat
Fluffy fleece type of coat or down hooded coat will also provide protection required.

(3) Leggings which you can use underneath your jeans. Those with Heat tech technology help even further but if you cannot find one, a normal type of legging should do the trick. Here's one from a clothes store, Uniqlo, who uses Japanese  specialized technology.

If you are up for it, you can also bring leg warmers.


Uniqlo's Heat Tech Leggings

(4) Gloves - as for me, this are important because normally I can take some amount of cold as I love the cold wind so long as my hands are protected so this one is a must for me.

(5) Scarf - again, this is worth bringing as it helps protect your neck/body from cold especially if you are not able to manage to find a coat that can protect you all the way from your head.

(6) Leather boots - depends on your style (with heels or without, with zipper or none)  and colour preference but just go for leather as it protects your feet from water. Not enough budget for one? Rubber shoes also helps - even better when you will do a lot of walking. Oh, and don't forget socks - that's must have No. 7!


Photo taken from www.collegefashion.net website

(8) Caps, Hat or Beanies - not necessary but can be really helpful when required.

(9) Jeans or faux leather pants - the good old tight or skinny jeans never fail to protect you from the cold. If you fancy wearing leather pants though, that is of course a great alternative. Maybe a little more expensive but believe me you will be thankful.

And lastly, (10) the good old fashioned sweater will never fail. When you have to remove your coat or jacket, at least you will still be protected from the cold.

If you need to wear some t-shirt underneath - heat tech type will also do the trick.

I hope this had been of help to you. Keep yourself protected and enjoy your winter holidays!

Post any comment or any other items I may have missed!

Till then dear readers.. Stay safe and warm!




No comments:

Post a Comment