Wednesday 12 December 2012

AQUA SHOES: RUBBER or JELLY?

Aqua Shoes w/ rubber soles; Image from www.made-in-china.com
Aqua shoes are a must-bring to any beach adventure. I didn't know aqua shoes existed before when on  personal vacations spent in a beach. I would only bring regular flip flops then. 

I first encountered aqua shoes in one company outing in Palawan with office mates. An office mate and friend lent me her aqua shoes when we snorkeled. After that experience, I instantly knew that I needed to get myself a pair when I get back to Manila to bring with me for the many succeeding beach adventures I'll have.


Aqua shoes are comfortable and they protect the feet from any pointed or rough items one may find on the shore or in the ocean. I bought my first pair with rubber soles at an SM department store for just P150 (~$3.50). Very cheap! This pair has served me well for eight years. I not only used them in the beach, I also got to use them exploring the caves in Sagada.


Once, I was insisting my sister to buy her own pair of aqua shoes for a beach outing. The ones in fashion at the time are the pretty, colorful pairs with jelly soles. However, they had nothing in my sister's size and aqua shoes with rubber soles were also out of stock.


While in another company outing in Palawan, one of my office mates was wearing aqua shoes with jelly soles. The pair she wore was with a color that I liked and I told myself that I'm going to buy one of those to replace my very old ones. However, when we went to the bathroom to wash ourselves after snorkeling, we heard a loud thud. My office mate slipped and landed flat on her back! Her aqua shoes with jelly soles are slippery on bathroom tiles.

My aqua shoes with rubber soles were worn last summer. I need to buy a new pair. But, I definitely won't buy the ones with jelly soles even if they're available in more fun colors and prettier to look at.


Update: March 5, 2014

I bought a new pair of aqua shoes with rubber soles two weeks ago at SM Southmall. A pair now costs P250.00 or approximately USD 5.60 at the current exchange rate. Still cheap, don't you think? I hope this pair will last as long as my old ones or longer as circumstances permit. ;)
New pair of aqua shoes with rubber soles

How about you? Have you had the same experience with aqua shoes with jelly soles? Or, is the experience of my office mate an isolated one? Tell us in the comments below.

19 comments:

  1. Hi, can i ask what sm branch did you buy your aqua shoes from? Looked for a pair in SM Makati, however they only have the super expensive branded ones.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecilia! I bought mine from the SM Department Store in SM North Edsa. These cheaper aqua shoes are usually available in any of SM's department stores all year round. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi. What brand is your Aqua Shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al. The pair I have are brand less. You can find these at the men's and women's shoes sections in SM Department Stores.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That was an interesting post! As for me, I've always experienced having bruises and wounds because of the rocks in the sea. Because of your post, I will buy one of these pair. Please visit, www.shopthiseasy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had two. Bought my first one when I was in college I think. I never thought it was used for water coz im using for aerobics at home then I saw from my pinsan from US that looked similar and she used that when we went to Boracay last 2009 so from then on I've been using it. Then bought another one last 2012 or 2013 ata when SM Makati had a buy 1 take 1 so I bought then katake ko yung sister ko. I insisted my team to buy too since last year kaso no stock pa sa SMs ulit. Hopefully this year meron. Much better yung rubber sole at di talaga madulas. Too bad mas pinili ko gamitin ung provided nila sa Moalboal sa canyoneering, ilang beses tuloy ako nadulas.. Yung rubber sole mas safe to use kesa yung jelly type

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eizmme. Thanks for sharing your experience. Enjoy safer summers with your rubber-soled aqua shoes. ;)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi i'm search for shoes beach but really this he explaine anything of aqua shoes ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AQUA SHOES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Nice blog! Anyway, you said that you bought yours at SM Southmall. I went there yesterday hoping to find an aqua shoes for myself. But I don't think that they have a brand less shoes for men. Though I found one but it's in the slippers or flip-flops area. Do you think it's just for women? Please let me know. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gio. Thanks for dropping by our blog. Yes, the brand less aqua shoes for men are available in the slippers or flip-flops area at SM Southmall. That is where we looked for a pair for my nephew. Unfortunately, they don't have a pair in my nephew's size. :( But, I hope that you'll be able to find a pair that fits you.

      Delete
  8. this aqua shoes was already out of stock most of the time i had one before but when i decided to replace it , its already out of stock .. it broke my heart so bad </3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'd like to ask if your aqua shoes lasts long. Because I bought aqua shoes from SM dept too but after two uses, the sole cracked already and I can't use it anymore. I don't know if I should buy one from SM again. Please tell me your thoughts about this. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura! The first pair that I bought from SM department store lasted long that's why I bought a new pair from SM again. :) I have used the new pair only once so I can't tell if it would last long as the first pair that I bought. I hope it does though.

      I wish I could recommend with conviction that you buy a new pair from SM again but I guess I cannot vouch if they would last long because I think that would depend on a lot of things.

      Anyway, if you should buy aqua shoes please do buy the rubber-soled ones since they are safer to use.

      Delete
  10. San po ba makakabili ng cheap aqua shoes? Nag punta n po aq s mg SM dept store but all of them are out of stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nemo. You can try looking in Robinsons' malls. Hope they're not out of stock there, too. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. Just bought from SM Makati -OlymPic Village, a purple size 6 Aqua Shoes with rubber soles.
    For use this December 27-30,2018.
    Hope it will last.

    ReplyDelete