Thursday 25 April 2013

KIM PAMPLONA-ZABALA'S EXPERIENCE OF A DUTCH TREAT

Kim Pamplona-Zabala in Naarden, Netherlands
Doelen, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Kim Pamplona-Zabala on Naarden and Amsterdam, Netherlands
Account Manager and
Prose and Poetry Writer, A Smitten Wordsmith

1. What brought me there Like love, sometimes travel falls on your lap. When gone and done, it is wise to crop everything else but your smile.

2. What I expected To be in awe with Europe's landscape and architecture. I expected everything ( from the weather, general feel, traffic systems, residential and commercial structures, fashion, conversations, grocery habits and rules, dining rituals, practically everything!) to be so different. This expectation of difference overloaded my travel bag with excitement.

3. What I saw Amsterdam is of all sorts - old and new, homey and radical, classy and vulgar, modern and historical. Amsterdam's unique character is defined by these elements: artsy museums, romantic canals, century-old architecture, never-shy Red Light district, ever-alive nightlife, and I think so much more elements I have not yet discovered in my short stay there.

I also loved my strolls around districts far from Amsterdam, in the more tamed parts of the Netherlands, I should say. Dutch people traditionally leave their curtains open. Peeking through their windows, one may think he is looking inside a store of fine country finds. Every house seems very neat and dainty.

My senses feasted on the serene landscapes, dams, lakes and admirably smooth highways, flatlands, clean air, countless bikes in their park stations. Every Dutch knows how to bike and how to swim. In these two things, I sadly lack. Good thing, I was just visiting.

4. Must-try meal Herring is similar to sardines, but to me more flavorful. 

Licorice's medicinal taste is not exactly a Filipino's favorite. to say it in the most courteous way. But, I got to love licorice in my own weird way. 

Fresh breads, they smell nice and as fresh as they can get.

5. Most awesome thing I saw The Red Light district - you walk through a lane of windows where the women sex workers are displayed like mannequins. Negotiations are done via sign language through the glass window. (I now think windows are a big part of Dutch culture.) You know a deal is successful when a client enters a door adjacent to each window. Could not forget when I saw a grinning man come out of the door. One satisfied client, whose transaction could never be a secret.

6. You should not miss visiting or going to Amsterdam, of course! It is okay to just watch if you cannot join : ).

Van Gogh Museum - The most difficult part is pronouncing, "Gogh", did not even think their "G" sound is possible for a human being to make. 

Heineken Museum - Yes, the beer! You can bottle your own Heineken with your name printed on the label. Unique souvenir!

Anne Frank's House - haunting, in a good way.

7. Thrilling budget find I can only apply the word budget to my strolls. Walking does not cost a thing, does not even make you sweat!

8. Local's advice - Wear high heels when watching a concert. Or else, an Asian like me would have to contend with just hearing the show. Dutch men and women are tall, and I am not kidding!

9. Must-avoid traveler's trap - Remember Euro's are Euro's. Magnify each price tag ~ 70X.

XXX
The Dutch always ends a note with three X's. It is also a symbol you will see all over Amsterdam - buildings, light posts, etc. It depicts the three St. Andrew's Crosses in the flag of Amsterdam. But I am curious if every Dutch can explain it : ).

No comments:

Post a Comment