Saturday 8 February 2014

Niagara Falls Made Her Cry

Racquel Rabara at Niagara Falls

Racquel Rabara 
Sojourner 

Ontario, Canada

1. What brought me there? 
It's part of my holiday itinerary last December when I visited my Kuya (older brother) and his family in Ontario, Canada.

2. Must try meal 
On our second day, my brother booked us in The Keg Steakhouse and Bar at the Embassy Suites Hotel to have an overlooking view of the Niagara Falls. The Keg is one of the best steak houses in town. Thus, steak is their specialty and a must try. However, portions are usually big so you must consider your appetite when ordering.
 If I may add, aside from their must-try steak, the view from The Keg's 9th floor facing the falls is stunning.

3. You shouldn't miss visiting or going to? 
For me, Canada equals Niagara Falls, their most precious blessing and gift of creation from our dear God. One shouldn't miss this tear-dropping, awesome natural wonder. I cried when I first saw it from the Embassy Suites Hotel. More so, when I went near the falls. I can't believe I was seeing and experiencing it. God is good! 

4. What I saw?
Canada is rich with parcels and parcels of land. There's just a lot of lands to conquer and thrive. When I went in December, it's chilling cold at -20 degree celsius so I saw all white - lands, trees, houses, cars all covered with snow, an unfamiliar view for us who live in Asia. I just didn't dream of white Christmas but experienced it. 

5. Most awesome thing I saw?
Aside from Niagara Falls, I was blessed to see the aftermath of the ice storm which created a crystal-like decoration to various trees. Going back home after our trip in Ottawa, where the seat of government of Canada is, we would pass by a row of tree branches covered with ice. My brother said that he had never experienced ice storm except last year after his stay in Canada for more than 10 years. The ice storm though, created power shutdowns in some areas because some trees fell and electric wires were affected. Well, I just want to remember the good side of how God allowed me to see the ice carvings on the trees. Fantastic and a unique sight to behold! 

6. Thrilling budget find
Coming from a holiday in the US, Canada is much more expensive in food, gasoline, toys, etc. because of the higher tax rate of 15% as compared to half the rate in the US. I didn't find any 'good buys' even during the Boxing Day (sale day in Canada) when I shopped for toys for my nephews and nieces. Boxing Day for me was not a super sale because prices were still high.

7. Notable tips from locals 
Because of the higher cost of goods in the country, my brother and family would go to the nearby US border to shop for clothes and food.  Another tip that my friend told me is that 'there is no bad weather but only bad choice of clothes'. Thus, one should wear the right kind of clothes for the right season and weather.

8. What I expected
I've learned to put no expectations on people and places that I visit so that I won't get frustrated in the end. I went there without expectations and God has just amazed me with what I saw and experienced. 

9. Must avoid traveler's trap
What I learned from my trip is that a place becomes even more significant and memorable because of the people you travel with. You need to enjoy and bask in the creation of God. The trap that travelers often fall into is that they just want a check on their 'bucket list' of places to go and forget to enjoy the moment.






No comments:

Post a Comment