Tuesday 11 June 2013

A PLACE OF REFUGE NEAR TAGAYTAY - THE CHAPEL ON THE HILL

A serene view from the Chapel on the Hill near Tagaytay
The Google map we printed to refer to going to the four destinations we visited in our recent Tagaytay trip

Legend of the map: A is Pamana restaurant; B is Puzzle Mansion Bed & Breakfast; C is Sonya's Garden and D is Chapel On The Hill
It has been a while, five or six years, since I last went up to one of our country's popular summer destinations, Tagaytay. A lot has already changed in this span of time, new restaurants sprouting and new attractions built and being created at the same time. These changes I heard and read from television and our dailies, respectively.

Since it was my birthday a couple of days ago and there were no thunderstorms predicted to occur in the latter part of last week, we found the perfect excuse to go up and visit Tagaytay and try out two places we have not been to before, Pamana restaurant and Puzzle Mansion. We also included two destinations we have been to already in our itinerary, Sonya's Garden and Chapel on the Hill.


We started out early to avoid the expected traffic on the way since some schools have opened last week and we wanted to be in time for lunch in Pamana on our way down from Chapel on the Hill. We designed the route we will take to begin on the farthest of our four destinations coming from Emilio Aguinaldo Highway, Chapel on the Hill, and end in our last stop, Pamana, which is the nearest from Emilio Aguinaldo Highway.
Chapel On The Hill near Tagaytay signage
The Chapel On The Hill in Batulao, Batangas
I first heard of this chapel in a television show years ago and my curiosity about this chapel peaked when the host of the show mentioned about a labyrinth inside the chapel. 
A drawing of the labyrinth at the Chapel on the Hill
The first time I visited this special place was memorable that I always include it as a must-visit destination every time I have the opportunity to go to the south.

We had to go up a flight of stairs at the side entrance to reach the chapel. Once up, a short walk towards the chapel followed. Before entering the chapel and walking through the labyrinth, one needs to walk to his right first and read the instructions written on a marble slab placed on a boulder of rock, in order to enjoy a meaningful journey inside the labyrinth.


This dedication is right beside the boulder of rock with the marble slab where the instructions on how to use the labyrinth is written
The Labyrinth, Journey into Inner Peace

The marble slab where instructions on how to use the labyrinth is written
As written on the marble slab, the labyrinth is a sacred circle with a single path that leads to its center. Walking the path leads itself to prayer and meditation. This kinesthetic style of prayer is especially valuable during those times when words cannot express the depths or heights of our experience.

One needs to remove his shoes when he walks through the labyrinth. This is done as an act of humility and letting go and connecting one's self to the earth.


One approaches the labyrinth for different reasons. The reason maybe to reflect, to intercede, to ask, or to express gratitude.


Whatever the reason, the peace and calmness that one experiences when he reaches the center of the labyrinth
makes the journey worth taking.

The first time that I approached the labyrinth and reached its center, I closed my eyes while facing the simple altar inside the chapel. I felt the cool wind touch my face and while taking deep breathes felt that I was alone, although there were friends beside me at the center at the time. I connected with God and whatever burden I brought with me  vanished and the assurance that everything will be alright was the gift that I brought home with me.


The labyrinth inside the Chapel On The Hill
The path near the center of the labyrinth
The center of the labyrinth

The simple altar that one faces upon reaching the center of the labyrinth
A stained glass window above the cross with the blue colored forms representing footsteps (this is my unverified interpretation though)
A statue on the grounds of the chapel which I failed to look   at to identify
This time was no different. I still experienced peace and a quieting of any worries that I had.

If you find yourself needing refuge, seeking for an answer or maybe dreaming to get away from it all, this is a place I recommend that you go to. It is near Manila and guaranteed to soothe your tired spirit. 


Our next stop was Sonya's Garden which I will write about in a separate post.


Please feel free to comment : ).

No comments:

Post a Comment